The Golden Times

Striving for Change in a Close Knit Community

Makenna Phillips

Solanco student Eniyah Brown has the belief that, “Solanco has a real problem of not being respectful of other people’s cultures or ethnicities or their background and where they come from.”

To help combat this problem, Brown has started the club called Ubuntu this new school year.

An Ancient African Philosophy

“Ubuntu” is an African philosophy that derives from the Zulu phrase “Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu” which literally means a person is a person through other people. The whole meaning behind it is about promoting racial acceptance, and building up a community.

Ubuntu Within Solanco High School

Brown moved to Solanco from McCaskey and she explained it as “the hardest transition I’ve ever done in my life.”

She was used to being around people just like her, now she is experiencing what it is truly like to be a minority.

The majority of Solanco’s population is white, with only the smallest percentage of blacks, Asians, or Hispanics.

With that being said, Brown believes that the reason that racism greatly exists in Solanco is because it is such a closed-off community. Not many people come in or out, meaning the same ideas and beliefs stay. Brown compared this to what is it like living in the city where “people are constantly going in and out, in and out, in and out,” which leads to change.

Brown plans on making a change with her new club Ubuntu. Since it is only the start of Ubuntu, it includes only a small group of seven. However, their intentions aren’t small.

Brown states, “Our plans are basically to educate our peers and people around the community as well.” To do this, Ubuntu plans on holding events such as a cultural day, a cultural exchange and a racial PSA.

The cultural day will introduce students to food, music and as Brown states, “just stuff people love, and are willing to learn about.”

Just like the “cultural shock” Brown faced moving to Solanco from McCaskey, the cultural exchange will be able to mimic that. They will be sending Solanco students to McCaskey, and McCaskey students to Solanco. Brown’s whole idea behind this event, is to be able to spread the club’s impact throughout the community, not just within the school.

The student news site of Solanco High School