The Golden Times

Anna Cooney Takes on Life

Richie King

Anna Cooney is a senior at Solanco High School and has been involved in the school’s lifting program and track team.

During her first years of high school, she was very involved with competitive dancing. Later on in her junior year, she became an independent competitive dancer and she grew to be more involved with school.

Anna took on weightlifting and track and field. Through weightlifting, she became known for her strength with a bench press of 170, a power clean of 185, a squat of 380, and a deadlift of 400. She joined the 1100 club and felt accomplished.

Anna’s weightlifting contributed to a successful track season. She started track the spring of her junior year and went farther than ever expected in the event of shot put.

With her dual meets she lost one out of eight and qualified for districts with the throw of 35’4” her first meet of her track career. From here she was undefeated in her high school dual meets. With having an invitational every weekend, she placed second in shot put.

Anna then went to leagues and placed second in the Lancaster Lebanon League. With her qualifying throw in one of her dual meets and her placement at leagues, she progressed to districts. Once she hit districts, she was throwing 37”11’ and placed fourth in the district, qualifying for states her first year of throwing.

For her only training two and a half months she made it to the state championship held at Shippensburg University. Through this experience she knew she would be committed to track the following year.

Considering it was Anna’s first year of track, she received numerous interviews from interested colleges. With her recorded throws in shot put, her personal record was a 39’9”. She is currently training for her final season of high school track and field.  

“With track being so new to me, I never thought I would be planning my future  around it,” Anna says in disbelief.

As winter tracks continues, it’s exciting to think about what’s coming up for Solanco track and our very own, Anna Cooney.

The student news site of Solanco High School
Anna Cooney Takes on Life